Michael Bennet is a POTUS1 candidate. Scroll down for his detailed policy positions.
Let us know
A+: comprehensive democracy plan with impressive public financing plan, promise to fix democracy first
A: comprehensive democracy plan with a strong policy in each category
B: notable proposals but overall plan lacks depth regarding scope and/or implementation
C: few democracy reform proposals, campaign makes infrequent mentions of reform
D: no meaningful democracy plan
F: active opponent of democracy
Candidate Policy Positions
Everyone’s Vote Should Count (Equally)
- Eliminate the Electoral College
- Ranked-choice voting
- Statehood for D.C.
- Prohibit partisan gerrymandering for Congressional districts
- Require the use of paper ballots for federal elections and risk-limiting audits for all federal races.
- Same-day voter registration
- Automatic voter registration
- Online voter registration
- Restore the Voting Rights Act
- Require no-excuse absentee voting and at least two weeks of early voting
- Require paper ballots
- Prohibit politically motivated purging of inactive voters from the rolls and significantly increase penalties for intentional voter suppression
- End felon disenfranchisement post-incarceration
- Ban modern-day poll taxes that make re-enfranchisement contingent on the payment of hefty fees
- Require portable voter registration
- Pre-register 16- and 17-year olds to vote
- Require no-excuse absentee voting and at least two weeks of early voting.
- Require counting of provisional ballots for federal races
Money in Politics
- Public financing of campaigns by creating a small donor-focused matching system
- Overturn Citizens United
- Reform the Federal Election Commission, so it can vigorously enforce campaign finance violations. By moving to five commissioners, we can break the current 3-3 deadlock.
- New ethics, transparency, and anti-corruption rules for the White House and Congress
- Strengthen disclosure requirements for Super PACs and outside groups
- Crack down on coordination between Super PACs and campaigns
- Require shareholders to approve of any political expenditures by a public corporation
- Ensure that foreign-owned or controlled corporations cannot spend money in our elections.
- Ban Members of Congress from ever becoming lobbyists
- Ban senior Congressional staff and cabinet officials from working as lobbyists in the particular areas they worked on for six years.
- Ban Congressional members and senior staff from ever representing foreign governments or foreign political parties
- Strengthen lobbyist registration requirements
- Ban members of Congress from taking money from lobbyists while they are in legislative session
- Ban the ability of lobbyists to “bundle” donations
- Limit donations to political parties
Michael Bennet has pledged to fix democracy first!
Bennet released an impressive democracy plan. However, we would like to see further clarification of his public financing plan, as well as a commitment to independent redistricting commissions.
Click here to see his full democracy reform platform. To watch his town hall with us, click here.
Here are some policies he could adopt to improve his platform:
- Representation for Puerto Rico
- Independent Redistricting Commissions
- A full end to felon disenfranchisement
- Release more details about his public financing plan
If you want to see Michael Bennet embrace these policies, check the bottom of the page for his staffers’ contact information.
In His Own Words
Contact the Candidate’s Staffers
Sometimes the best way to reach the candidate is to work with the candidate’s staff, who serve as eyes and ears on the ground.
Did this candidate get back to you?
Please describe the response below