Deval Patrick is a POTUS1 candidate. Scroll down for his detailed policy positions.
Let us know
A+: comprehensive democracy plan with impressive public financing plan, promise to fix democracy first
A: comprehensive democracy plan with a strong policy in each category
B: notable proposals but overall plan lacks depth regarding scope and/or implementation
C: few democracy reform proposals, campaign makes infrequent mentions of reform
D: no meaningful democracy plan
F: active opponent of democracy
Candidate Policy Positions
Everyone’s Vote Should Count (Equally)
- Abolish the Electoral College
- End gerrymandering through independent redistricting commissions
- Statehood for D.C. and Puerto Rico
- Replace old election machines and conduct risk-limiting audits
- Ranked choice voting experimentation
- Protect the census
- Automatic voter registration
- Incentivize states to implement pro-democracy policies
- End felon disenfranchisement post-sentence
- Restore the Voting Rights Act
- Early voting
- Pre-registration for 16 year olds
- Election Day holiday
- Support transgender voting
- Enforce provisions of the Higher Education Act requiring higher education institutions to develop plans to promote student voting.
- Make Overseas and Military Voting Easier
- Limits on voter purges
Money in Politics
- Public financing matching system (8-to-1_
- Democracy vouchers trial
- DISCLOSE Act
- Overturn Buckley v. Valeo and Citizens United v. FEC
- Fix public financing for presidential elections
- Revitalize the Federal Election Commission
- Stricter Super PAC enforcement and ban Leadership PACs for most congresspeople
- Reform the Federal Election Commission
- Ban Lobbyists From Regulating Their Own Industries.
- Strengthen Lobbyist Disclosure
- Ban Foreign Governments From Registering Lobbyists
Patrick has pledged to fix democracy first!
Though a late entry in the race, Patrick quickly jumped to the front of the pack with a strong reform platform. He supports a hybrid public financing system and robust policies to address voter suppression. Patrick moreover has interesting ideas for national service.
Here are some policies he could adopt to improve his platform:
- A full end to felon disenfranchisement
- Clarify which voting reforms would be federally binding
If you want to see Deval Patrick embrace these policies, check the bottom of the page for his staffers’ contact information.
In His Own Words
Contact the Candidate’s Staffers
Sometimes the best way to reach the candidate is to work with the candidate’s staff, who serve as eyes and ears on the ground.