Joe Biden is not yet a POTUS1 candidate. Scroll down for his detailed policy positions.
Did this candidate or his staff already get back to you?
Let us know
A+: comprehensive democracy plan with impressive public financing plan, promise to fix democracy first
A: comprehensive democracy plan with a strong policy in each category
B: notable proposals but overall plan lacks depth regarding scope and/or implementation
C: few democracy reform proposals, campaign makes infrequent mentions of reform
D: no meaningful democracy plan
F: active opponent of democracy
Candidate Policy Positions
Everyone’s Vote Should Count (Equally)
- Statehood for D.C.
- Automatic voter registration.
Money in Politics
- Public financing of elections
- Overturn Citizens United
- A constitutional amendment to entirely eliminate private dollars from our federal elections
- Strengthen prohibitions on foreign nationals trying to influence federal, state, or local elections
- Create a new independent agency, the Commission on Federal Ethics to assure vigorous and unified enforcement of anti-corruption laws.
- Regulate Super PACs
- Increase disclosure requirements
- Bar 501(c)(4)s from spending in elections
- Require immediate disclosure reporting for entities that run ads within 60 days of an election
- Ban corporate PAC contributions to candidates, and prohibit lobbyist contributions to those who they lobby
- Reform funding for national party conventions through public financing
- Prevent officers and directors of federal contractors to contribute to federal candidates.
- Prohibiting foreign governments’ use of lobbyists
- Increase lobbying disclosure.
- Require that lobbyist contributions be disclosed within 24-hours, and any lobbyist-hosted fundraising event be disclosed before it occurs
- Require elected officials to disclose monthly any meetings or communications with any lobbyist or special interest trying to influence the passage or defeat of a specific bill
- Establish the Commission on Federal Ethics to more effectively enforce federal ethics law
Biden has not pledged to fix democracy first.
Although he is in support of a few important reforms like public financing of elections, his platform is relatively weak overall. His website is essentially empty on the topic of how to ensure the right to vote and end gerrymandering. Click here and here to see his full democracy reform platform.
Here are some policies he could adopt to improve his platform:
- Same-day voter registration
- Ranked-choice voting
- Representation for Puerto Rico
- End gerrymandering with independent redistricting commissions
- Eliminate the Electoral College
- Repeal discriminatory voter ID laws and other voter suppression policies
- A full end to felon disenfranchisement
If you want to see Joe Biden embrace these policies, check the bottom of the page for his staffers’ contact information.
In His Own Words
Contact the Candidate’s Staffers
Sometimes the best way to reach the candidate is to work with the candidate’s staff, who serve as eyes and ears on the ground.
TWEET AT THE Senior Advisor
TWEET AT national training director