Tom Steyer is a POTUS1 candidate. Scroll down for his detailed policy positions.
Let us know
A+: comprehensive democracy plan with impressive public financing plan, promise to fix democracy first
A: comprehensive democracy plan with a strong policy in each category
B: notable proposals but overall plan lacks depth regarding scope and/or implementation
C: few democracy reform proposals, campaign makes infrequent mentions of reform
D: no meaningful democracy plan
F: active opponent of democracy
Candidate Policy Positions
Everyone’s Vote Should Count (Equally)
- End gerrymandering with independent redistricting commissions
- Mandate paper ballots and post-election audits (HR1)
- Automatic voter registration (HR1)
- Same day voter registration (HR1)
- Initiate a vote-at-home system
- Restore the Voting Right Act
- Ending felon disenfranchisement post-sentence (HR1)
- No-excuse absentee voting (HR1)
- Regulations on voter purges (HR1)
- Limiting the supressing effect of voter ID laws (HR1)
- Early Voting (HR1)
- Pre-registration for 16 and 17 year olds (HR1)
Money in Politics
- Public financing of elections
- Restructure the Federal Election Commission
- Overturn Citizens United
- Increased campaign finance disclosure (HR1)
Steyer has pledged to fix democracy first!
Steyer released a democracy plan which includes a few key reforms such as independent redistricting commissions and vote-at-home. He expresses a commitment to sign HR 1, as well. (We would like to see him commit to each key policy of HR 1 individually, however. Nevertheless, we have given him credit for the policies contained in HR 1 and labeled them accordingly) Steyer also supports a couple of unusual reforms: term limits and national popular referendums.
Click here to see his full democracy reform platform.
Here are some policies he could adopt to improve his platform:
- Representation for D.C. and Puerto Rico
- Eliminate the Electoral College
- Ranked-choice voting
- A full end to felon disenfranchisement
- Clarify his public financing plan
- Publicly support key provisions of HR 1
If you want to see Tom Steyer embrace these policies, check the bottom of the page for his staffers’ contact information.
In His Own Words
Contact the Candidate’s Staffers
Sometimes the best way to reach the candidate is to work with the candidate’s staff, who serve as eyes and ears on the ground.