Equal Citizens — a nonprofit founded by Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig dedicated to reforms that will achieve citizen equality — has an immediate opening for a Grassroots Organizer. A strong track record of developing and managing volunteer programs across a large geographic region and New Hampshire residency is required. Visit< equalcitizens.us to learn more about our organization.
Equal Citizens is seeking an experienced Grassroots Organizer to implement our statewide advocacy campaign for ranked choice voting in the New Hampshire presidential primary. Preference will be given to applicants who have run successful advocacy campaigns with strong volunteer programs.
Our current objective is to win legislative reform by June 2019. Therefore, candidates will be expected to begin working immediately upon hiring.
The goal of this position will be to guide and support the campaign team’s efforts. This will require:
- Working with our lobbyist to craft and implement an advocacy campaign.
- Building our volunteer base and creating local chapters and other programs
- Organizing house parties.
- Conducting in-person and phone meetings with volunteer signups and running organizing meetings to activate a local community of activists.
- Building a broad coalition of endorsers and partners that is both geographically and politically diverse.
- Meeting/event planning, scheduling, administrative and office support as needed.
- Training to be a public speaker and to provide talks about ranked choice voting.
The Grassroots Organizer will lead the field component of our ranked choice voting campaign. They will:
- Work collaboratively with Equal Citizens staff to ensure strategy is implemented in practice.
- Ensure gaps in the volunteer leadership structure get filled in a timely manner.
- Train volunteer leaders.
- Ensure volunteer communications and meetings are well-facilitated and impactful.
- Aggressively reaches goals in a manner that is both productive and sustainable
- Prior grassroots organizing experience
- Prior volunteer management experience
- The ability to become an expert on campaign messaging, including memorization of a RCV presentation
- The ability to take total ownership and initiative under tight deadlines
- New Hampshire residency
- Experience with building structures, buy-in, and accountability of volunteers
- Experience with Nation Builder, VAN and MyCampaign prefered.
- The ability to travel
- The ability and willingness to work long hours, including evenings and weekends
Commensurate with experience.
About Equal Citizens
Equal Citizens — a nonprofit organization founded by Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig — builds innovative campaigns and new ways for digital communications to have immediate impacts on democracy reform in the U.S. In 2017, Equal Citizens successfully launched a crowdfunding campaign for a legal challenge to the winner-take-all allocation of Electoral College votes at the state level. We’re also working on other legal challenges to address various electoral reform issues.
How to Apply
Send your resume and a one-page cover letter to [email protected] Your cover letter should include an overview of your organizing experience. Please put “Grassroots Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Equal Citizens provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status in accordance with all applicable laws. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of the above. We’re committed to building a diverse leadership team. Women, minorities, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
JOIN THE FIGHT